What is place-based education?
Place-Based Education (PBE) is defined by the Center for Place-Based Learning and Community Engagement as a learning experience that “places students in local heritage, cultures, landscapes, opportunities and experiences, and uses these as a foundation for the study of language arts, mathematics, social studies, science and other subjects across the curriculum.” PBE is an interdisciplinary practice that immerses students in local heritage, cultures, landscapes and the local ecosystem for the study of subjects across curriculum, emphasizing learning through service work for the local school and/or community.
WeatherBlur is an example of PBE, where students, teachers, local experts and community members come together to make tangible contributions to resolving local environmental issues by improving or conserving local environmental health. Learning occurs on-site in the school as well as in the local environment and community. This form of learning supports and serves as the foundation for the understanding of larger regional or global environmental and/or social issues.
- What is Place-Based Education and Why Does it Matter – https://drive.google.com/file/d/14FSNhU_j2QQr_SO3-QfGjLjZ8dsQlTCp/view?usp=sharing
- Promise of Place website – https://promiseofplace.org/
- Building A Place-based Education Project: Your Action Plan – https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0cIgYrLkHEfSy1zYlVuOW1wZjQ/view?usp=sharing
- How to Get Projects Off to a Good Start – https://drive.google.com/file/d/12S1rlQp_A0b6_ISIuONzIFqQgrsXSsX9/view?usp=sharing
- More Than One Right Answer – https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k0lmu0PGexRXZgerRR-xx7KpBAWOKhIr/view?usp=sharing
- Checking for Understanding – https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JA3EIFXPgpMysY7gppgTnNjcRSybrI6x/view?usp=sharing
- How to Turn Rubric Scores into Grades – https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ENFNrMElR8RPaBUVbx3nb7DrGy04a_Xb/view?usp=sharing