We want you to be safe when you are involved in all our WeatherBlur activities – and that includes when you are online.
Here are some simple things that you can follow to keep yourself safe online:
1) Don’t post any personal information online – like your address, email address or telephone number. We would also like you not to use your own name as your display name – but to pick a nickname that is not based on your name or even the town you live in. So Catfish12 is a great name…and safer than SueinPortland.
2) Think carefully before posting pictures or videos of yourself. Once you’ve put a picture of yourself online most people can see it and may be able to download it, it’s not just yours anymore.
3) Never give out your passwords so others can use your account. EVER!
4) Don’t meet up with people you’ve met online. Speak to your parent or carer about people suggesting you do.
5) Remember that not everyone online is who they say they are.
6) Think carefully about what you say before you post something online
7) Respect other people’s views, even if you don’t agree with someone else’s views doesn’t mean you need to be rude. (See our WeatherBlur rules for working in our online space)
8) If you see something online that makes you feel uncomfortable, unsafe or worried: leave the website, turn off your computer if you want to and tell a trusted adult immediately.
Adapted from Staying Safe Online (http://www.safetynetkids.org.uk/personal-safety/staying-safe-online/